Friday, February 19, 2016

If any of you keep up to date on Ugandan news…Unlikely though possible, you would have noticed that it is election time. On Monday there was unrest in the city center. One person got shot and tons of people got tear gassed. I also heard a couple people are missing. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday have been pretty peaceful. Thursday was election day and since then they have limited internet access. No social media and a couple other things. Luckily if I needed to get a hold of anyone I have a program downloaded that lets me pass through the block but I only have a certain amount of time free so I will be limiting that until it becomes unblocked. It has been an interesting time. I have been pretty bored because I have chosen to follow good advice and stick around indoors despite my desire to see the action (You’re welcome Mom and Dad). I am staying with a friend and we “stocked up” on food and supplies… but we were bad at estimating so really were weren't stocked up and we will have to buy more stuff which isn’t a big deal, we live really close to a market and a grocery store. I don't need to be to worried right now if anything intense happens it is likely to happen after they announce the winner of the elections. If the current president wins he will have to and I quote “squash the opposition” If the opposition wins he pretty much has to overthrow the current government.  It could go smooth, it could not. Please pray that things will go smoothly and that I won’t die of boredom from being cooped up in the house. 
Police face off protesters P.S I didn't take this picture because I was smart enough to avoid town but this is what it looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment